If you want to remove the gas lift from the office chair, it is essential to have basic knowledge about it. Any office chair that is height adjustable with the help of a lever underneath the seat is called a pneumatic chair. It uses the phenomenon of gas lift. This pneumatic chair has a number of components which includes; the base (consists of three, four or five wheels), a seat (fitted with a plate that holds the adjustable lever), a gas cylinder (which stores the compressed air and is equipped with a telescopic cover), and the padded back support.
The gas lift has its function and importance in an office chair. A gas lift office chair allows the person to adjust their height according to the height of a desk. It also increases comfort and ergonomic benefit.
There are many advantages of gas lift in an office chair such as; proper airflow and ventilation for employees just to keep their body cool while they work. The sweat coming off the employees’ body quickly soak into an upholstered chair, ultimately leading to staining. It creates a cleaner environment. The office chairs with gas lift have Better Durability and comfort. The appearance, aesthetics and style are attractive as well as posture fit. It provides better ergonomics and support to the body, and the height-adjustable feature makes this chair most suitable for anyone.
Along with advantages, there are some disadvantages too, such as; the gas lift in office chairs may hardly allow reaching things in the office. These chairs are pressed too close to the desk. Thus, these chairs place stress on the body. You should not use these chairs because such chairs still affect our posture. If there are some ergonomic desk, for which we even lean forward. The spine or back problem is just waiting to happen. This chair only allows restricted movement, and they bring stains on muscle, and this chair never solves the problems of prolonged sitting.
Sometimes the gas lift chairs can create a problem for heavyweight people. Your office chair seat height is control by the valve whose piston allows air in and out. Sometimes, the valve stops regularly working, due to which office chair seat height cannot fix quickly. To remove this sort of default either you can replace the chair with a new one, or you can remove the gas lift that causes a problem to make your chair height fix. So to avoid all these problems, we’ll tell you how to remove a gas lift from the office chair.
How to Remove Gas Lift from Office Chair?
Gas lift is significant to be in a first working state. As the gas lift can be changed, its removal is mostly a simple process.
To remove the gas lift, you should have the following tools:
- A hammer
- A releasing agent
- A screwdriver if necessary.
Even though, if you are not facing any problems with the gas lift, you might be looking about how to remove gas lift from office chair because of some other reasons. You can follow this method if you want to clean or replace it. Sometimes the gas lift is right, but the chair becomes useless. In this case, you can separate the gas lift and keep it for further use.
- Firstly, find a proper space where you can do your work. After finding a suitable place, turn the chair upside down. Raise the chair to the highest position. Ensure your grip on the chair.
- Fix it in your desired position. This step might seem trivial, yet it is essential. If the chair keeps on moving during the process, the job becomes difficult. Take help if required (from a person or another chair). Now, the chair is stable go for next step.
- The meeting point of the chair and castor might need lubrication. Apply a penetrating agent e.g. WD-40. Lose the contact between chair and castor. Sometimes the area is rusted. If this is the case, leave the releasing agent for a few minutes. Tap each side of the wheelbase forcefully. Make sure to tap each side of fixing.
- Separate the castor from the wheelbase. After detaching castor from the chair, now apply a little force to disconnect the gas lift from the castor. It might require a bit of your energy. Be careful not to damage the gas lift. You need to take care of yourself as well. You might get hurt. If the gas lift doesn’t protrude in the first attempt, give it another try. Place a soft material on the floor to protect it from the damage of the fall of gas lift.
If you are still confused about how to remove gas lift from office chair or find this method difficult, you can also use another way. Many steps will resonate with the first process. In this method, you don’t need to turn the chair upside down. In this process, you need to find a big table. Place the chair on the table. Lie it down.
- In the first step, remove the wheelbase. You will need a hammer. Now, pound on the bottom of the chair cylinder with a hammer. When the cylinder is released, try to remove the gas Cylinder.
- In the next step beat the mechanism with a hammer, while doing so, keep hold of the piston. Use the WD-40 spray. Leave it for few minutes. Now, use a little force to take out the wheelbase. And here you are with gas lift, and chair separated.
The whole process is simple. Steps are easy to follow. Want to know the best part? You don’t even need any big tool for this method. All you need is just a hammer and a bit of your force.
Before following any procedure, look at some precautions:
- Care must be taken while turning up the chair to avoid injury.
- Be cautious while hammering, making sure not to hurt yourself neither the chair.
The benefits you will get when you remove the gas lift from the chair are that you will feel more comfortable and relax because you would not need to fix its seat height again and again. After removing the gas lift, your seat will not cause any problem still while you are working. So just follow any of the above methods, clear your confusion about how to remove the gas lift from the office chair, and get comfortable.